JorjaPedia:No personal attacks
Don't do it
Do not make personal attacks anywhere on this site. Comment on content, not on the contributor. Personal attacks damage the community and deter users. Nobody likes abuse.
Most of the time we remove personal attacks on third parties on sight, and although this isn't policy it's often seen as an appropriate reaction to extreme personal abuse. Users have been banned for repeatedly engaging in personal attacks.
Remember that disputes on websites are accessible to everyone on the Internet. The way in which you conduct yourself on this site reflects on us and on you. Stay cool.
Different contributors may not agree. Members of opposing communities reasonably wish to express their views. Remember to accept that we are all part of the same community.
So, don't do it!
Do not make them.
Specific examples of personal attack include but are not limited to:
- Negative personal comments and "I'm better than you" attacks, such as "You have no life."
- Racial, sexual, homophobic, religious or ethnic epithets directed against another contributor. Religious epithets are not allowed even if the contributor is a member of a purported cult.
- Using someone's political affiliations as a means of dismissing or discrediting their views - regardless of whether said political affiliations are mainstream or extreme.
- Profanity directed against another contributor.
- Threats of legal action
- Death threats.
- Threats or actions which expose other editors to political, religious or other persecution by government, their employer or any others. Violations of this sort may result in a block for an extended period of time which may be applied immediately by any sysop upon discovery.
- Accusatory comments such as "Bob is a troll", or "Jane is a bad editor" can be considered personal attacks if said repeatedly, in bad faith, or with sufficient venom.
- Discuss the facts and how to express them, not the attributes of the other party. This does not mean that you have to agree with the other person, but just agree to disagree.
- Never suggest a view is invalid simply because of who its proponent is.
- Explore issues in a less public forum like e-mail if a debate threatens to become personal.
If you are personally attacked, you should ask the attacker to stop. If he or she continues, email firstname.lastname@example.org and ask someone to take a look.
A misguided notion: "Kicking them while they are down"
Note: There are certain users who are unpopular, perhaps because of foolish or boorish behavior in the past. Such users may have been subject to disciplinary actions. It is only human to imagine that such users might be fair game for personal attacks. This notion is misguided.
It is your responsibility to foster and maintain a positive online community. Personal attacks against any user - regardless of his/her past behavior - is contrary to this spirit.