Okay folks, the trailer is out and there are some thoughts!
But first, watch the trailer (if it doesn’t load, click the link, yes there’s an ad first.):
Let’s unpack what we know…
We already knew the reason for Sara and Grissom to return was that the lab was under ‘attack,’ which really meant their results. Hundreds of thousands of cases are going to be thrown into question due to the accusations of malfeasance (i.e. criminal actions).
In the trailer, we see Jim Brass literally being attacked, and Sara and Grissom together being invited back.
We meet some of the new team, including a very dapper coroner, and a new baby CSI still getting used to the world. It’s like what they were trying to do with Holly Gribbs (which as you recall failed and resulted in Sara Sidle being brought on, and no real baby CSI around until Greg).
We’ve also heard that Sara kept up her CSI certs, which explains the visitors’ badge Grissom’s sporting:
And clearly this explains why they’re back to work:
And finally we actually get more PDA than we usually get on CSI:
Whew. That’s a lot! And I didn’t even begin to unpack the remix of the song, that sounds like Aretha Franklin got The Who to play some reggae! Joy Oladokun’s cover took a whole femtosecond to win me over, and you should check out the behind the scenes of making that remix too.
What does it mean …?
Everything from here on out is speculation!
Okay. Jim being attacked makes me think that, since he’s only in two episodes, he’s going to be killed at the end of episode one. If I wanted to rip the rug out from everyone, that’s how I’d do it. Start the episode attacking Brass, which absolutely will bring Grissom back. Of course Sara came with.
Interestingly, we don’t know if they’re married, really. We all suspect as much, but what if they’re just happily living together without being married? You don’t have to get married, and frankly I think they’re both generally happier without that Damoclean dread hanging over them.
We didn’t see anyone else for the old gang, but we know….
- Hodges is an expert witness now, so he’ll show up for court at least once
- Nick moved to San Diego (which is probably how Sara keeps up her CSI certs)
- DB moved to DC for CSI: Cyber (the actor is on an NBC show and unlikely to appear)
- Riley left, pissed off at Catherine’s running the lab
- Wendy became a CSI in Portland to be close to her sister
- Ray Langston retired after killing a serial killer
- Warrick, Holly, and Finn are all dead
And here’s my guesses about the rest:
- Catherine‘s retired and moved somewhere to be closer to Lindsey who’s in university (or graduated by now unless she went for a PhD)
- Ecklie retired as well and moved to a quieter coast
- Greg finally wrote his book and is living the author life
- Sofia joined the FBI or moved to another city to be the chief of detectives
- Doc Robbins has died (possibly related to the ‘attack’ on the crime lab?)
- “Super Dave” decided to shift careers to be more available for his wife and child (he had those before the end of the original series)
- Morgan finally made up with her father, Ecklie (remember that one?), and moved to be closer to him
- Henry, Archie, Mandy, and Bobby have all moved on to other labs
There are, of course, hundreds of other fly-by guests I haven’t mentioned, but seeing as the show started to taper off with the return lab-rats near the end, I don’t think we’ll see most anyone. Since Marg’s All Rise got canceled (though it’s in talks to be rescued by OWN), she may show up, but I wouldn’t think it’s a lock. Marc Vann hasn’t done much acting since the show ending (IMDb has one credit since) so I doubt we’ll see him.
Everyone else though …
What are your takeaways on the trailer?